Hadiyah Pendleton is a fifth teen year old girl who was murdered on her way home from school one afternoon. She was mistaken for a gang member and shot in killed. I though this article related to the American dream because my idea of the American dream is a society where there’s peace and everyone is just striving to get what they don’t have or what they dream of one day receiving. A child loosing their lives wasn’t what I had in mind when thinking of the ideal “American dream”.
Freedom was one thing that I thought was apart of the American dream, but who wants freedom in a world full of violence. Things like this make me wish there was still a feudal system, so that I’d have a king or vassal as my protector. I was thinking of the American dream and only happy things came to mind. For me the America dream is a fairytale lifestyle, where you are living the wealthiest life, but I forgot gruesome acts like Hadiyah’s murder happen everyday.
How can we have a fairytale like life when we can’t even conquer peace no fairytales end with a young fifth teen year old girl dying, by the hands of another human being? So compar4ing this to the American dream makes me re-think my vision of what should be the American dream. I think a more realistic ideal would be a society with more protection and peace. Maybe once we pass those marks then wealth, maids, equality, and everything else imaginable would be a plausible American dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment