When first discussing this, I thought, I really don’t care if mascots are portrayed as Indian warriors, bulls, or dolphins. It’s just a mascot if you ask me, and it doesn’t make fun on the Indians, it uplifts them and makes them seem strong. But now that I’ve thought about it and looked at it from and Indians perspective, it’s kind of unjust. All Indians aren’t warriors and they all don’t hunt and feast and live in huts 9as I once thought). They’re people, but they’re being put in the same categories as animals. Most mascots are animals and personally I wouldn’t like to be placed on the same level as an animal. It’s degrading me as a person, and as a race. I thought that if someone was to make a mascot of a black strong man it would kind of offend me, especially if the person who acts as the mascot wasn’t African American. Then I would feel like African Americans are being made fun of. So I feel that you can only really despise the Mascot if it really offends you individually. At first I would’ve never even paid the Mascot any attention because first of all it has nothing to do with basketball, the only sport I watch, and it’s not and African American. So I feel as if I cannot really criticize something that has nothing to do with me. I just feel like it should only be offensive to Indians, and if they don’t complain then neither should we who are not Indians.
WORD COUNT - 269
No comments:
Post a Comment